Sunday, June 23, 2013

"D" IS FOR…

D-E-B-T.

This is a nasty 4-letter word.  Perhaps it doesn’t have its origins in the Anglo-Saxon heritage like so many of our other 4-letter profanities, but where-as 4-letter words may sound coarse or uncouth, DEBT is vulgar to the core of our well being.
 

Let me enlighten on the definition of debt:

1.      Debt is an obligation owed by one party (the debtor) to a second party

2.      Something owed, such as money, goods, or services.

3.      The condition of owing: i.e., a young family always in debt.

4.      An offense requiring forgiveness or reparation; a trespass.

 
While we may argue and disagree about the value or the disgrace of “bad words” in society, I think we can all agree that debt is a curse to all who are obliged.  Is there good debt versus bad debt?  Should one live totally free from debt and is that even possible?  Good questions.

 
Answer: maybe and maybe

 
In my very first blog and in each subsequent blog, I talked about the fact that we don’t live in debt.  When I expressed that, I was referring to consumer debt, versus the debt of home-ownership.  So, we do owe money for the mortgage on our property and therefore are technically in debt.
 

But……let me explain.  In 1991, when we “purchased” our first home, we “bought” it for $39,000.  We carried a 15-year, fixed mortgage and paid approximately $385/month.  At that time, I was still paying off my student loan.  But, both my husband and I were working full time, and we did not have any children to support.  So, not only were we easily able to pay our monthly mortgage payment, and my student loan, and all our other expenses, we were also able to save money.
 

Even back then, over 22-years ago, we lived by our rule of not carrying any consumer debt.  If we used our credit card to make a purchase, each month we would pay off the balance.  We would accrue mileage points and then use the points to get free airline tickets so we could visit our families in Pennsylvania.  Rather than the credit card company making money from our credit card purchases, we actually made money from the credit card company by getting several free airfares.  That particular credit card company decided they didn’t want us as “customers” anymore and sent us a letter declining us further credit.  Why?  They didn’t want to keep losing money on us! 
 

Make no mistake.  Credit card companies are in the business to make money….lots of money.  The less you, the debtor, pays each month, the more money the credit card company makes.  Of course you already know this intuitively, but let’s look at this numerically: 

 

How do credit card companies figure the minimum monthly payment?

The minimum monthly payment is based on the account balance rather than the particular interest rate. It's typically around two percent of the account balance.

Both the minimum monthly payment and the account balance are stated on the credit card statement. The monthly minimum percentage can be calculated by dividing the minimum monthly payment by the account balance. The following is an example of how to compute the minimum monthly percentage on an account with a balance of $1,000, and minimum monthly payments of $20 and $25: 


Account balance
Minimum monthly payment per statement
Calculation
Minimum monthly percentage
$1,000
$20
$20 divided by $1,000
2.0%
$1,000
$25
$25 divided by $1,000
2.5%

 
Paying only the minimum monthly payment is a fool's game. In most cases, the bulk of the minimum payment goes toward interest, and just a smattering goes toward principal. If your prior month's payment was late and you get hit with a $29 late fee, chances are none of the payment will go toward principal. Thumbs-up for the credit card company; thumbs down for you.

The following table illustrates how much you will save in interest if you make more than the minimum monthly payments on a credit card with a $1,000 balance and a 19 percent interest rate.
 

$1,000 credit card balance
19 percent APR
2 percent minimum payment
Monthly payments
Time to pay off debt*
Total interest you will pay*
Minimum (Starts at $20 and goes down a little each month)
22 years
$2,400
Fixed $20
8 years
$1,000
Fixed $30
4 years
$450
Fixed $40
3 years
$300
 

*years and amounts have been rounded-off.  Notice that the total interest paid on the original debt of $1,000 is MORE THAN twice the original debt.
 

 

But here’s the thing….
 

American Household Credit Card Debt Statistics: 2013

 

The average US household credit card debt stands at $15,216, the result of a small number of deeply indebted households forcing up the numbers. Based on an analysis of Federal Reserve statistics and other government data, the average household owes $7,098 on their cards.
 


 
And how much interest do you figure will accrue on credit card debt $7,098??? 

Oodles, that’s how much. 

 
I don’t about you, but I don’t want to pay two times or three times or any times as much of the value of whatever is I’m buying.  And I don’t want to be carrying such a debt burden for consumer debt.
 

For those of you who already carry a hefty consumer debt, it’s a slow slog out and I would like to talk more about that slog, but in a separate blog entry.
 

Now, when it comes to mortgage debt, or student loan debt, it gets a bit trickier. With respect to whether or not to carry mortgage debt (i.e., purchase a home versus renting) is a personal choice; each carries certain benefits and risks. 
 

So, my one piece of advice with respect to mortgage debt is this: make sure to carry no more mortgage debt than you can realistically manage and play the “what if” game.  For example:
 

What if my spouse/partner or I lost our job?  Could we/I still pay the mortgage? 
 

As tempting as it is to go for the maximum you can borrow to buy the house of your dreams, I urge you to NOT do that.  As the anti-NIKE slogan might go: 
 

JUST  DON’T  DO  IT.

 
I urge you to build yourself a safety zone and give yourself plenty of breathing room for bad financial things to happen.  If they don’t happen…WAHOO! – you’ve got savings for whatever you’ve ever dreamed about doing.  But if they do…guess what…you’ve got yourself that proverbial financial safety cushion and that’ll make the handling the bad financial thing just a bit easier for you.
 

I’ve already gone on my rant about student loan and student debt and how I feel that what we’re doing to our newly educated college folks is an absolute sin.
 

And just so you know, as of June 2013 the average student loan debt (undergraduate) was listed at $32,054.   

I really love Ted talks.  I found a Ted talk that not only talks about the crippling impact of debt, but also discusses the importance of 5 financial rules.  I’m going to end this blog entry and I encourage you all to take the next 11 minutes to watch this:

 
Five Financial Rules To Live By
 

Next blog I’d like to explore a few more “D” items; “DIY”, discounts and dependents…and whatever else comes to mind.
 

It's time for a disclaimer:

I’m not a financial planner, nor am I a business guru. What I am is a very practical person with (as my mother always said) “a good head on her shoulders”. I have good common sense and am old enough to trust my inner core and follow my instincts.

No comments:

Post a Comment