Sunday, June 30, 2013

D IS FOR DIY, DISCOUNTS, DEPENDENTS and DREAMING…

Last week I concentrated on that nasty four-letter word, debt.  I do plan to come back to it at a future date, as I know that so many of us carry a high consumer debt burden and it’s important to address how to undue that mess.
 

But in this blog, I want to discuss some other items of interest that allow us to live on our golden shoestring, such as “DIY”, discounts, dependents, etc.
 

DIY – DO IT YOURSELF
 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_it_yourself:  Do it yourself (DIY) is the method of building, modifying, or repairing something without the aid of experts or professionals. DIY behavior can be triggered by various motivations previously categorized as marketplace motivations (economic benefits, lack of product availability, lack of product quality, need for customization), and identity enhancement (craftsmanship, empowerment, community seeking, uniqueness)[2
 

DIY clearly has economic benefits…usually.  If one has a skill set in whatever is being built, modified, repaired or created, it’s a major WIN-WIN… Economic benefits as well as personal benefits; satisfaction gained from doing something.  In the big picture of things and stuff, we clearly gotten away from using our brain and our community to do for ourselves.
 

Yes, yes, yes – there are times when it’s best to ‘leave it to the experts’.  But it’s my opinion that we’ve given up everything to the experts.  Tinkering has gone by the wayside and is done by funny old men who talk to themselves. 

 

DISCOUNTS

This is a no-brainer.  Discounts are to be taken advantage of.  Discounts are similar to coupons, but without having to cut or scan the coupon.  There are so many ways to look for discounts and it is worthwhile to take some time to look for them before making your purchase. 
 

There are discounts for airfares, for hotels and cruises and other vacation packages.  There are discounts for electronics, for clothing and just about anything else you desire.  For this topic, I would LOVE to get feedback on your favorite places to find discounts on whatever.
 

Here are a couple of mine:
 

For airfares:  I generally start with CheapTickets.  I also look at Expedia, Orbitz and Mobissimo.  What are your favorites?
 

For hotels:  Well..I love to use CouchSurfing and Airbnb and will usually start there, but if I need a hotel, I might try Hotwire, or CheapHotels.  What do you use?
 

Cruises/Vacation Packages:  Well, I generally don’t go, but if I did – I’ll give a plug to my good friend, Liz Clark who has a new travel business called “Odyssey Tours by Liz”  
 


 

DEPENDENTS

I know this seems like an odd thing to put in.  But here’s the thing.  When you have dependents, it shapes how you live and how you earn and how and what you spend and every other decision you make in life.
 

When you create your financial budget, you not only consider your earnings and expenditures, but you must consider all the people in your household, or in your “circle of life” for whom you are financially tied to, as you make your decisions.  Again, this seems to be a no-brainer, but I don’t think it is something we are conscience about.  You may need to project out some years, in order to get to where you need or want to be. 
 

One prime example is that of college funding.  Right now, this is the bane of my existence.  It’s not that we didn’t plan for college (well…we’ve probably not planned as we should have, but we couldn’t), it’s that the college funding and planning mechanism is an absolute failure.  Individual families are left with sorting it out for themselves, hoping they’ve set aside adequate funding, hoping a grandparent has set up a college fund, hoping the son or daughter makes the grade and does everything right to get the scholarship…and then whatever is left the poor (literally) college student has the burden of college loans.   

 

DREAMING

Never forget about dreaming.  It’s good for the soul.  I’m an incessant dreamer.  Sometimes it takes me to far away places and then I try to figure how to actually get there.  Dreaming helps us not only escape from reality, but provides the impetus for change. 
 

So, in the spirit of dreaming, I want to share a website that I stumbled across a few months back.  I admit that I haven’t spent much time looking at A Center for a New American Dream, but I love what I read and so I want to share it with you. 
 

 

Here is their mission:  The Center for a New American Dream helps Americans to reduce and shift their consumption to improve quality of life, protect the environment, and promote social justice.”
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This speaks to my heart and soul and if I could find a way to work in such a capacity, this is EXACTLY what I would be doing with the rest of my life.  I’m on a mission to figure out how and where to begin.  I’m hoping that this blog is one small piece of it.

That’s enough for the letter “D”…unless you want to know that as I’ve got my first routine colonoscopy coming up tomorrow morning and there’s a “D” I’d rather not talk about…
 

What about the letter “E”.  The one thing I’ve thought about is “ELIMINATE DEBT”.   What else comes to mind? 

 -----------------------
 

It's time for a disclaimer:
I’m not a financial planner, nor am I a business guru. What I am is a very practical person with (as my mother always said) “a good head on her shoulders”. I have good common sense and am old enough to trust my inner core and follow my instincts.

No comments:

Post a Comment