Saturday, June 1, 2013

"B" = BARGAINS, BUDGETING, BUYING IN BULK, BICYCLING and BRAINSTORMING

I decided to take a week off from writing and enjoy the Memorial Day weekend holiday with my family.  Actually, we had our second set of Airbnb guests with us.  From guests to hosts; once again creating business opportunities from areas of need. 

Before I head off on the “B” in the “A to Z” dialogue, I want to share our Airbnb business card.  While we have our profile listed on the Airbnb website, there are many people we know who don’t (yet) know about this very interesting way of travel; nor do they know that we are (now) hosts.  Our business cards should arrive in the mail in about a week and then we’ll be able to connect with people face-to-face and share what we’re doing.

 
 
Someone posted a comment on an earlier blog entry: 
 
“Great idea to only spend what you earn. You could also earn more, no? Why only half an income when there are two of you plus an older teen?” 
 
Thank you for your comment.  I so appreciate people reading my blog and making commentary. Yes, absolutely – earning more is always an option.  For those of you who live in Central Oregon, you know about the challenges of finding professional wage jobs.  You know that this area is known as: “poverty with a view”.  People relocate here to enjoy the spectacular natural beauty and for the lifestyle it affords, at the potential sacrifice of earning a decent income.
 
Recent news article “Jobs in Deschutes County Pay Below US Average”… put in blog after “poverty with a view” (widely anecdotal expression is backed up by recent data)
 
 
 
No matter how much or how little one earns, the golden rule must be “Don’t Spend More Than You Earn”…which translates to living within your means.  This becomes increasingly more difficult with less spending power (i.e., less income). 
 
As for us, it looks like our earnings may be changing for the better….I’ll be sure to keep you posted.
 
 -------------------------------
 
So – “B” is for: bargains, budgeting, buying in bulk, bicycling and overall brainstorming…
 
I’m certain we can add much more to the letter “B”, but this is plenty to write about.  Let’s get started!
 
Bargains
 
I suppose this has a lot to do with the way I was raised.  Both of my parents grew up during the depression where everything was scarce and rationed.  My mother grew up in extreme poverty; her parents waited in the food line and had to survive with whatever they could. 
 
This way of living as a child impacted her greatly and so she became an amazing bargain hunter.  No matter the commodity; food, clothing, furniture, house supplies she was always bargain hunting.  One wonders whether growing up with second-hand clothing, furniture and basement bargain food costs causes one to embrace this way of life or to run away from it.  For me and my brother and sister, we’ve more or less followed in the footsteps of how we were raised.
 
 It not only makes economic sense, but for me it makes ethical and environmental sense. Now before you raise your eyebrows any further, bargain hunting for plastic crappy things made from the PRC is NOT what I’m talking about.  And, to me, buying local usually trumps all else.  We can get into a hefty discussion about internalized costs versus externalized costs and all that good economic stuff, but, nah, I don’t want to go there. 
 
Bargain hunting for me means purchasing (or trading) goods often found at second-hand or thrift stores.  These could be items that folks have discarded that still have plenty of life and need to be given a second, or third chance rather than ending up in the solid waste stream (i.e. the landfill).  It also means thinking carefully about what I’m buying, bearing in the mind the price point, and asking myself that age old question: 
 
“DO I REALLY NEED THIS…?”
 
 
 
 
 
Budgeting
 
I talked about budgeting in my first and second blog entries.  You call our first rule: “We Don’t Spend More Than We Earn”.  You may recall that fun little experiment where we gave up our credit card for a week and looked at our expenditures.  I uploaded a video on a budget spreadsheet and suggested that folks take some time to look at their Income versus Expenditures. 
 
 Voila!  That’s the basis of budgeting!  It’s not rocket science, not brain surgery and not high tech.  It is basic math (addition and subtraction) and most importantly…
 
 It’s Common Sense.
 
 Believe it or not, we all do possess Common Sense.  Sometimes….okay, often times, we don’t use it, but each one of us has the capacity to make common sense decisions about our lives and about the things we do, or do not purchase.  All we have to do is take an extra moment or two to pay attention to our common sense and to give ourselves the opportunity to shut out all the “noise” in the world and use it.
 
 
 Buying in Bulk
 
This can be a good thing, depending on what your needs are.  While I don’t always love shopping at COSTCO, I love the products.  Sometimes I really appreciate that I can buy 400 rolls of toilet paper at a bargain price; other times I’m not so sure what I’ll do with 32 cans of lentil soup.  Buying in bulk doesn’t necessarily mean just buying at your local COSTCO or BJs or other wholesaler.  It can also mean purchasing loose; such as in the bulk aisle section of your local grocery store, or at a local farmer’s market.
 
Many, many years ago, I worked for a franchised bulk store called “Barrel Grocer”.  It was at a time when the idea of buying in bulk (or loose) was just coming into mainstream marketing.  I remember having to memorize the four-digit codes for all the bulk items that we sold.  A lot of people were wary about buying in bulk.  They were very concerned about hygienic and sanitary conditions; in particular, people were worried that customers would use their fingers, take samples, drool, spit or somehow contaminate the products.
 
I suppose that’s always a possibility; there is a certain amount of trust associated with this kind of purchasing.  But the open air/self-service concept has been around since the dawn of the market place.  Buying in bulk, whether it’s prepackaged lots at COSTCO or sans containers makes economic and environmental sense.
 

Bicycling

I already talked about my passion for bicycling.  I really can’t stress this enough.  Riding a bicycle as a means of transportation is one of the best things you can do.  I know…I know…it isn’t often very practical to do this.  In general, the United States lacks the infrastructure and the incentives to get people out of their automobiles and onto their bicycles.
 
Last summer we were in Europe.  While we traveled around in a rental car, we saw so many people on bicycles – bicycles as their means of transportation.  No place was this more apparent than in Amsterdam.
 
While Amsterdam may be best known for its (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) cafes and the Red Light District – it’s also known for all the bicycles.  Everyone…and I mean everyone is one a bicycle.  If you don’t believe me, take a look at this short promotional video. 
 
 
 
 
To me, this is the epitome of alternative transportation.  I love it…I wish that the United States would look to other countries that have an excellent infrastructure established for human powered transportation and follow suit.

Brainstorming
 
This might be my favorite “B”, after bicycling.  Brainstorming, or “thinking outside the proverbial box”…whatever you want to call it.  We tend to get ourselves trapped in thinking about a problem, a solution, or the apparent lack of a solution, in rigid terms. 
 
Brainstorming allows you to get unfiltered input from others; perhaps a spouse, partner, parent, family member, friend or pet.  Brainstorming is a great mechanism for problem solving and for allowing creative ideas to flow into your sphere of being.  We are creatures of habit and like our established patterns of behavior.  Let ideas in!  Don’t think any idea is “stupid” or “impossible” or “irrelevant”.  The older I get, the more I realize that there are marvelous ideas and solutions out there in the ether; we just have to let them in…
 
Comments?  Keep them coming!
 
I guess I’ll keep on going with the alphabet. 
 
After “B” comes “C”… “C” is for: Coupons, Carpooling/Commute options, CouchSurfing, Creativity and whatever else comes to mind between now and then.
 --------------------------------
 
I’m not a financial planner, nor am I a business guru. What I am is a very practical person with (as my mother always said) “a good head on her shoulders”. I have good common sense and am old enough to trust my inner core and follow my instincts.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment