Sunday, May 5, 2013

MY PLASTIC-FREE MONEY WEEK

I want to start off this blog talking about the results from the experiment – the challenge I set for last week’s blog.  If you read the last blog entry (Don’t Spend More Than You Earn) you may remember the challenge:
 
“Pull out your credit cards (and debit cards) from your wallet and stick them in your underwear drawer for the week."   ---   A trial separation from you and your credit card.

























 



To kick off the event, I said I was going to go the week without using my credit card.  So – how’d it go?

I withdrew cash from my bank account and went with cash all week.  My husband used a combination of cash, check and debit card (I took more of the purist approach, but then again it was my challenge!). 

 
First a few personal observations/findings from the week.

 
1.      It’s kind of a pain to handle cash for every transaction.  Last Monday, when I made a small purchase at my local Safeway, I used the self-service checkout and had to stuff paper money into the little slot and wait for my change.  It took considerably longer and was more of a hassle than using the plastic.
 
2.      On the other hand, by having to use the cash in my wallet, I found myself thinking a lot more about the daily purchases I was making.  I was much, much more aware of what I was purchasing I was considering, how much they cost and money was remaining in my wallet. 

If anyone else decided to give up the credit card for the week, I’d love to hear about your experience(s).  If you didn’t and want to give it a try, please challenge yourselves, and then make a comment in the blog about it.  As much as a pain in butt it was to go all week without using plastic money, I’d like to suggest that every year we have a NO PLASTIC MONEY week. 

These silly little experiments have a way of creeping into our consciousness and creating changes in the way we spend our money – and that is part of the solution in getting to living within one’s means.
 







My Results

3 gas receipts for a total of:                             $58.82

7 grocery receipts for a total of:                       $168.28

8 snack/meal receipts for a total of:                 $26.56

5 household/repair receipts for a total of:        $290.41

8 thrift store purchases (household, books):    $148.00

 
Total weekly expenditures:                          $692.07


Some of these purchases were typical (i.e., gas, grocery, snack) and some were atypical (household repair and some of the thrift store purchases) as we are working on a house project.
 
 
Surprises for me: 
 
How much we spent on groceries and how much was spent on snacks/meals.  The two together near $200.00.  However, when compared to the Official USDA Food Plans:  Cost of Food at Home at Four Levels, March 2013, we fall into the low-cost plan.

 
 
The USDA calculates average food costs at four different consumption levels: thrifty, low-cost, moderate-cost, and liberal. They assume that all meals and snacks are eaten at home, which lowers the cost. In March 2013, the thrifty plan for a family of 4 per week was $146.40. Low-cost = $191.10 Moderate cost = $238.90 and Liberal cost = $289.90. 

 
As I mentioned in earlier blog entries, this represents only a portion of our expenses.  Balancing our monthly expenditures and looking at all the numbers is right up there with doing our taxes or going to the dentist.  It’s downright painful.
 
Nonetheless, taking a critical look at what comes in versus what goes out is essential.  If you haven’t done it for awhile, I strongly urge you to STOP READING for a bit, gather up your documents and do a little (okay, a lot of) math.  You can do it by hand (like my father did/does) with a ledger, or use a spreadsheet/computer program.  Do whatever is less painful.  There are numerous programs and spreadsheets out there to help you set up your categories and calculate your average monthly expenses.  For example:

 Spreadsheet for Personal Finances

http://financialsoft.about.com/od/spreadsheettemplates/Spreadsheet_Templates_for_Personal_Finance.htm


or here's a short video on a Google based home budget spreadsheet

 
 

 This isn’t rocket science, not in the least.  It’s basic math…addition and subtraction.  Boring?  Kind of… Tedious?  Perhaps… but in order to get to the “Don’t Spend More Than You Earn” zen way of financial living, you must get a handle on your current spending habits – and compare them to what you bring in.
 
So – take the time this week to find yourself a spreadsheet or system you like (or one you can tolerate) and start putting the numbers into the appropriate spaces.  I certainly DON’T want to know the personal details of how much one spends  -- or earns.  I realize that when it comes to our money and spending habits, we’re kind of private about sharing those details. 
 
What I would like to know is if there were any surprises or if you learned anything interesting (like I did with the grocery/snack food).  Please feel free put something in the comment section about your findings, or about anything else relevant to the blog. 
 
Of course the key is that once you discover a surprise, or learn something, to make a decision to change what you don’t like.  For me, seeing that we spent $26.56 on snacks/meals was quite a shock.  I might challenge myself and my family members to make more meals a home, or to have their coffee/tea in a ‘to go’ mug… What about you?
 
With the next blog entry, I want to start writing about our ABC’s of how we manage to ‘Not Spend More Than We Earn’.  I’ll be discussing how and what we purchase (or how and what we don’t purchase).  I’ll try to provide useful suggestions and ideas and will also be looking for your ideas.

Stay tuned and subscribe if you want to receive regular blog updates.
































No comments:

Post a Comment